A very merry Christmas from Cheltenham Festivals...

A Very Merry Christmas from Cheltenham Festivals...

'Tis just weeks before Christmas, and here at Cheltenham Festivals we're beginning to feel distinctly, well, Festive! To celebrate this jolliest of seasons we asked the stars of this year's Literature Festival to share with us a special Christmas Memory.

Every day of advent we'll be unwrapping a different Christmas Memory for your delight and delectation. And as an extra-special treat, every Festive-Friday we'll be hearing from our Festival Directors and giving away Festive-al prizes galore!

So sit back, grab a mince pie and unwrap a very special Festive-al memory...


Saturday 8 October 2011

Guest Blog: Witi Ihimaera


We caught up with prominent Maori writer and Festival Writer-in-Residence, Witi Ihimaera to get his thoughts on the Festival and hear about his journey from New Zealand to be with us... 

People told me before I left New Zealand that the Times Cheltenham Literature Festival was the mother of all book celebrations so, of course, when I received the invitation to come I couldn't decline as it was like getting an invitation from the Queen. Apart from which New Zealand and Australia across the ditch from us (as we call the Tasman Sea) are the focus countries this year and although I feel a little bit ganged up on - there's three of them and only one of me, well, as Ann Landers famously said, "Things are always darkest before they become totally black."

So here I am in Cheltenham, having flown from the bottom of the world, after a thirty hour flight including stopover in Hong Kong. Warm and sympathetic hospitality was awaiting me, however, in the person of Jane Moore who picked me up for the two hour drive "into the West."

I am really impressed with the volunteer framework at the festival, and the hands on approach of everyone from Board members to executive staff like Nicola Tuxworth - and even the guys who make coffee in the writers' lounge are friendly and fun. One of them gave me a quick lesson on making coffee Cheltenham style, so we were soon chatting away and I was able to be the proud Daddy and tell him all about my daughter Olivia who runs Supreme, the best coffee company in New Zealand.

The accommodation I have been given is top drawer. I am staying at The Queen's Cheltenham, in a beautiful corner room overlooking Imperial Square. I feel like the Emissary of Aotearoa and I have a lovely view of everyone hastening to all the book events at the Square or in Montpellier Gardens. But I blush to admit that my first task on arriving was to find a local pub where other rugby enthusiasts gather to watch the Rugby World Cup on a big television screen over a pint. Go the All Blacks! 

So is the Times Cheltenham the Mother of all literary festivals? It certainly must be: the catalogue itself is 90 pages packed cover to cover with a mind boggling programme of events that ranges not only across all genres of literature but also music, wine and good food. Its fun to read as well, with a great section aimed at Families and Young Readers, featuring covers of interesting books, one of which I am definitely picking up for my grandson called "On Your Farts: Get Set, Go! And there are so many book clubs to augment the pleasure of your experiences at the Festival! 

Today was the first day of the Festival and I joined the throng at "The Language Wars", listening enthralled to Henry Hitchings, then at "Footprints" with travel writers Colin Thubron, Benedict Allen and Sara Wheeler, and topped up a really terrific day listening to Christopher Ondaatje talking about his new book, "The Last Colonial." I loved the incidental conversations I had with others attending, and I realized that as a professional writer one doesn't often get the chance to be anonymous and to join others as listeners rather than as participant. The delight of discovery and the pleasure of being introduced to new kinds of books and new worlds of ideas is intoxicating. 

But I'm off now to a party where I shall toast the Festival with a good glass of wine. As the Lindeman Wine and Book Club asks in a clever advertisement in the catalogue, "Read or White?"

Witi Ihimaera
Festival Writer-in-Residence

2 comments:

  1. I am really impressed with the volunteer framework at the festival, and the hands on approach of everyone from Board members to executive thanku for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twickenham Hospitality
    People told me before I left New Zealand that the Times Cheltenham Literature Festival was the mother of all book celebrations so, of course, when I received the invitation to come I couldn't decline as it was like getting an invitation from the Queen.nice post

    ReplyDelete